SkippySkippy came to us in June 2004 along with Shadow. Skippy was a very happy dog who loved his routine especially around the dispensing of treats. If someone got brushed, break out the treats; you're leaving the house, break out the treats; you came home, break out the treats. He was a dog who loved everyday and everyday had its routine that he would depend on. He was very content after walks, feeding time and any time he got to spend with us. He would often show his delight by rubbing his body against the couch or the bed and he would like to roll around on the floor. We thought of Skippy as our ambassador in that he was so calm and easy going that he tolerated strangers coming up to him on walks and petting him. We never worried about how he would react to them.

Skippy started slowing down this year and started to show his age (14.5). He began losing weight and we could never get him to put it back on. He also became fussy about his food and even his treats. One day he had a seizure and after consulting with our vet, we released him to the Bridge. We could never come close to returning the love that he gave to us though we tried.

He has been missed everyday since and will missed be for a long time to come. We are grateful to HSS for saving Skippy for us to love.

NoahWe think it was God's hands directing us towards choosing Noah as the dog we wanted to rescue. Noah proved us right. He was the best dog we have ever had. There was just something about him that made him special. You could see it in his eyes. He was sweet, loving, gentle and VERY affectionate. He would come rest his head on your knee until you let him jump in your lap. He would then lay his head on your shoulder and go to sleep. He was always so happy to see us come home.


Misty first came through HSS in 2001. Oftentimes sweet and loving, but alsom poorly socialized and fearful, Misty's issues required an all-adult home without other dogs. She was adopted by a family who believed in her and she became the constant companion of their wheelchair-bound son, sleeping in his room and staying by his side during the day. Sadly, the young man passed away only months later, and Misty and the young man's mom and dad found comfort in each other. Only a year later, dad also died, and it was just Misty and her mom. In 2008, when mom needed to take care of her own mother, battling cancer in another city, Misty was returned to the program, now 13 years old.

JosieJosie had much hardship in her life before being rescued by HSS. She came with a group of 5 other dogs, all in deplorable shape, rescued after the death of their owner. She endured through heartworm treatment, surgeries and dental care for her teeth, which were so bad they had fur on them. She retained her spirit and dignity through it all. She came to us as a foster in November, 2009. As we grew to learn more about her, we learned to love her and her little quirks. She didn't like to walk in the grass and would walk around the edge of the yard where the grass was shortest or do the circle around the pool skirt. She didn't like to be bothered by the other dogs and didn't interact with them much.

ChampChamp joined the HSS family in August of 2006 at 8 years old, a victim of divorce. Like so many others, his foster mom could not resist this sweet boy and gave him his forever home. In recent years, he bravely battled numerous physical challenges, from Cushings to cancer, supported by his mom, who loved him unconditionally. It often seemed it was only by strength of will and love that he kept pushing through, reluctant to leave his mama alone. But he grew weary of the fight, and weak, and mom told him it was okay to stop fighting. He is now running free on the Bridge waiting for the reunion with his mom.

BertieLittle Bertie pretty much told you how things were going to go. When he first came in the program as a found stray back in late 2008, he was 8+ years old with chronic airway disease, perhaps from allergies, or living with a smoker. He lived with a chronic cough, which sometimes was worse than others. We were able to medicate, but never able to get him really better. No matter, Bert was in charge of his existence.

Bertie's family members were his devoted servants, first as foster parents, then adopting him when he finally agreed to allow them to do so last Christmas.

ChampDeja came to us at 6 years old in June 2004 when her older owner broke her leg and could not keep her. She went to the House of Blue Merles, and quickly joined the pack. From the beginning, Deja was the calm in the storm of her family's blue activity - the mistress who kept her head about her when others (ahem... Missy) would raise a ruckus about one thing or another. In recent years, she was the elder matron, and showed the signs of aging that our dogs get when we're fortunate enough to have them get old with us, but her gentle spirit was treasured and much beloved.

AndyA tribute from Andy's foster parents: Andrew (also known as Andy2) came to us to foster in June 2009. He was big for a Sheltie but didn't seem bothered by that at all. He just wanted to be loved and cared for and that is what we gave him to the best of our ability. Andrew learned to love the walks that we would take everyday even though he was somewhat clumsy at times. He walked like a bear always swinging his feet out and then back in. He would sit down at every opportunity as if we had been on some forced march.

Andrew was also a talker, giving little barks to show his interest in dinner, going outside or treats. He also wanted you to go outside with him while he did his business; that way he was sure to get back in with wait time. If you left him outside, he would sit at the back door and just bark until he broke your will to resist him.

PeteyWe first met Petey at the Sheltie Picnic and soon thereafter made him our own. He came to us with shaved fur, but he grew to look like a big teddy bear with his oversized paws and luxurious coat. He was always happy and was the most lovable and loving dog ever. He was content sitting in laps and lying right on top of his mom, putting his head on her shoulder, if he caught her lying on the floor. He made us laugh as he chased water spraying out of the water hose. He enjoyed making new dog friends in the neighborhood and liked all humans. Petey was unbelievably expressive with many nuances to his voice--whines, squeaks and other words that we never quite understood. He was a total joy and left us too soon of a sudden onset heart problem.

ChrissyA tribute from her foster mom: Chrissy graced our home for the past year with her regal demeanor and quiet dignity. She was tireless in her determination to be an integral part of the pack despite her extreme arthritis and continuing liver failure. She demonstrated what appropriate dog behavior was supposed to be and would quickly but firmly correct any dog in the house who failed to live up to her standards. She did give the young ones some wiggle room on occasion and tolerated such chaos as she deemed acceptable. She picked the path and pace of our morning walks and we all followed without complaint. My hope is that we won't get lost tomorrow and can find our way home despite her absence.

To Top