Rainbow Bridge 2012


Landon came into our program last year from a local shelter. About 8 years old, he was tiny, precious and lapsized. He loved the humans he trusted, but was a difficult placement because he was fearful of strangers, loud noises and quick movements, and he would snap. He needed someone who was patient, with a quiet home, to help his ease his fears.

Marianne V. had provided such a refuge before for one of our other dogs. In her setting, he was a darling boy, and was happy with her for almost 9 months. He was technically available for adoption, but never drew interest from a home that provided the kind of comfort and security he needed and found with Marianne.

Sadly, he suddenly began to feel bad, and wouldn’t eat. On his second trip to the vet in as many weeks, he passed away in the car. Our doctors think he had developed a heart issue that didn’t show symptoms until it was too late. Godspeed, little Landon – we trust the Bridge holds no fears for you.


Another angel has gone to the Bridge. Dolly was saved from euthanasia and brought into our program. She was scared and snippy, and her foster parents discovered that Dolly was totally deaf. Having experience with deaf dogs, they worked with Dolly teaching her hand signals and showing her that she was safe and loved. She loved to give kisses, and adored her foster parents. She made so much progress, gradually playing with her sheltie siblings and learning to go up and down the stairs.

She passed peacefully in her sleep last nite, having had a fun evening playing and eating a nice dinner. Rest in peace, Dolly. You knew love and kindness with Gerry and Donna, and you will always be a part of their family. They miss you dearly.


Mavourneen is Irish for “my beloved,” and this little girl was the apple of her mommy’s eye. When her mommy went into Hospice, she came into the program at 17 years old. A precious litlte girl, she charmed everyone she met.

Her mom passed away knowing Mavourneen was being cared for. It seems even the glories of Heaven were missing something without her special little girl, though, as she called her beloved to be with her a few weeks later.

From her foster mom: Rest in Peace my sweet foster Mavourneen.

I held you in my arms as you peacefully said goodbye this morning. I know your 1st Mommy awaits you in the Heavens above. I was so very glad to have been able to care for you after her passing. You lived a wonderful 17 years & 3 months of life. I will never forget your beautiful, infectious smile.


The Angels in Heaven welcome yet another sweet sheltie.

Molly was picked up by Nancy H. in September of 2010, who recalls how she loved being cuddled and petted. After all those years of being tied to a tree, she was totally starved for affection. The previous owners offered Nancy the cable they’d been using and said “Here you’ll probably need this.” We declined, and Molly was never tied out on a cable again.

Reminiscences from her foster mom: Molly8, better known as Miss Congeniality, went on a sleepover during the 2010 Christmas break.

For days, no news was good news, until Barbara and Hubby called and gave the official word that Molly was home. Warned about Molly’s tree monkey behaviors, I knew she’d have some stories for me. Sure enough… even with all the chairs pushed in at the table Molly took to a chair set off to the side and must have leaped onto the dining table for a tasty cherry pie. Not sure how much she got but I was laughing so hard since I had been there myself fostering her…thus the name tree monkey. Molly learned their doggie door quickly and seeing the swimming pool for the 1st time, she tapped her little paw at the water, then ran to the other side….also tapped the water and decided she was NOT going to walk on it. Barbara wanted a cuddling sheltie since the resident male sheltie seemed to take more to daddy than her. Of course Molly was just that: one of those needy shelties that wants your undivided attention 24/7 so I knew that part of Molly was appreciated. Molly and the resident sheltie soon became best buddies.

I had the pleasure of pet sitting Molly a few times since her adoption. This last visit a couple weeks ago was not good. She was not the perky, barky, mischievous Molly that I knew. She was being treated for what they thought was a sprained leg/foot that a couple weeks later was diagnosed as a rare extra skeletal Cancer that grew quickly to consume her shoulder. It was agreed to help her cross to feel the pain no more.

The adopters miss her dearly and are grateful for the short time they had with her. She was a very special HSS foster sheltie for me that touched my heart and many others of HSS who saw her move on to a better life. Rest in Peace sweet Molly…


Look in the sky tonight – you’ll see it. The brightest star, polished by her mama’s tears.

Kathy adopted Ally almost 8 years ago. Ally was given up by her former home because she and the resident toddler were not interacting well together. While shy, her foster home found her to be a loving, delightful girl who interacted well with their own Sheltie. Kathy fell in love with Ally’s picture and description, and when they met, with her as well. She took Ally for a sleepover which quickly turned into an adoption.

Kathy sent the following note this morning:My sweet, and sassy Ally passed away this morning. She had a stroke yesterday afternoon while at the vets office. I knew the next 72 hours were pretty critical, her body couldn’t handle it.

I adopted Ally in 2004. Her past life was loud and included a toddler that would play too rough. When HSS went to pick her up she was hiding in a corner. She slowly came out of her shell with the help of her new sister, Abbey. Abbey showed Ally living the single life with her new mommy was good. The pair became known as “the girls”. They loved going to her monthly spa days which included mani/pedis and bikini waxes. Ally stayed with grandma when I traveled, and she quickly learned Grandma would spoil her.

When Allan came into our life, she gave him the seal of approval. What Allan didn’t realize was Ally was the boss. If Ally was outside, she would not come inside until she was ready. I don’t think she ever came in when he tried to get her. She and Allan had their playtime in the mornings. If I put her on the bed, she chose to be near him. Lately, she would bark in the wee hours which meant, “my water bowl is empty!” About 30 minutes later, she would go to his side of the bed and bark until he let her out. Sometimes she wanted to stay out for 5 minutes or 15, regardless, she would bark and let you know it was time to come in. At 5:30 pm, she would sit in the dining room until I acknowledged her and fed her. She would not drink the water out of the shared water dispenser, only out of her pink bowl. She made Allan crazy when he was working in the front yard and bark at him. He never understood why she couldn’t tell it was him. I think she did it on purpose!

When a foster came into the house, she let them know, “leave me alone and we will get along fine”. She eventually trusted children again and would let the neighborhood kids pet her.

To my sweet Ally – You brought so much joy into my life. I am pretty sure we were made for each other. No one would understand that it takes one princess to take proper care of another princess. We took care of each other over the last 8 years. My heart is aching for you, thank you for coming home with me and letting me love and hold you one more time. I will miss your sweet gentle paw playing with me and watching your JLo booty stick in the air when you ate your treats.